Pump Monitoring Where Hardwiring Cant Go
Milford Power, Milford, Mass., has implemented Smart Wireless to monitor its remote pumping facilities, which would have been cost-prohibitive with hardwiring due to distance and logistics. The power company reported its 12 devices were communicating within two hours of initial installation, and that it saved $75,000 in installation and capital costs. The new Smart Wireless-based system communicates easily in a dense environment with many obstructions, and its wireless communication werent interrupted even when a new building was erected in the middle of the network. Smart Wireless helps Milford prevents freeze damage to its water pumping and circulation equipment, which previously cost the plant $20,000 per incident.
We looked at various technologies and selected the Emerson, said Cliff Esmiol, Milford maintenance supervisor. The easy, flexible, self-organizing network that could be installed and operational in a very short time was especially important. This is an excellent solution that works well, is easy to install and very easy to expand.
New Smart Wireless Products
To further aid its wireless users, Emerson announced four primary Smart Wireless products at this years Global Users Exchange. These components will soon join the firms wireless pressure, flow, level and temperature field devices, as well as its system integration products the 1420 wireless gateway, AMS Device Manager native interface, and ROC oil-and-gas wireless gateway. This weeks newly unveiled devices include:
- CSI 9420 Machinery Health Transmitter, which is a wireless vibration transmitter that monitors mechanical equipment and delivers predictive diagnostics for improved reliability and plant safety. CSI 9420 connects to any machine, and it wirelessly delivers vibration information via PlantWeb. Configuration, diagnostics and alerts are available in AMS Suite predictive maintenance software. Vibration data is also available in data historians or any control system for trending and analysis with other process parameters. Besides measuring overall vibration, CSI 9420 includes PeakVue technology for advanced bearing diagnostics.
- DeltaV, Version 10.3, digital automation system consists of a new Delta V release thats designed to work with Smart Wireless technology. In this new version, the 1420 gateway becomes a node on the DeltaV control network, permitting it to be auto-sensed and auto-configured in the DeltaV Explorer. Also, HART alerts from WirelessHART devices are passed directly through to the AMS Suite Device Manager software, eliminating the need for an additional Ethernet network.
- RCS Microcor wireless transmitter from Emerson and Rohrback Cosasco Systems (RCS) enables high-speed communication of corrosion rate data. RCS Microcor integrates with Emersons Smart Wireless offerings, so corrosion information from the transmitter is available to automation system, where it can be logged, trended and analyzed along with other process data. Corrosion information also is available via the AMS Suite, which extends AMS predictive diagnostics coverage to corrosion. RCS Microcor provides corrosion rates in any process media at speeds approaching real time. This wireless transmitter operates as a node in Smart Wireless self-organizing network with other wireless devices, or it can be configured as a part of an independent network of corrosion monitors.
- ROC800-Series remote operations controller and its ROC800 smart, remote wireless interface card enables ROC800 to support wireless field networks. The interface card allows ROC800-Series to communicate directly with any mix of up to 30 wireless temperature transmitters or wireless pressure transmitters over the mesh field network. Emerson reports this delivers cost savings when used for monitoring process variables that may be located up to 200 meters away from the RTU.
- Rosemount 702 discrete wireless transmitter installs and commissions quickly and provides users with a cost-effective way to access information. Its applications include level and environmental spill prevention, personnel safety and plant equipment status. The 702 also supports a variety of non-powered switch types, with single- or dual-channel capacity and is hazardous-area approved. Fully compatible with existing Smart Wireless networks, 702 provides the same, rich HART diagnostic data, 7-to-15-year SmartPower battery life, and reliable and secure performance.