See the additional online resources on automation we have put together for you:
- The changing face of automation engineering
CONTROL looks at lights-out plants, online as-builts, remote asset management, and all the other things that will be necessary to make up for the lack of trained automation professionals in the next 20 years.
- Process Automation: Harder, More Profitable
Success in Factory Automation Is No Free Ticket for Success in Process Automation
- Making automation pay enterprise-wide
From the plant floor to the front office, the means often justify the ends, so if the level of credibility does not exist in your company that allows new automation to get approved, then you have some work to do.
- Five of Automation's Biggest Hits
Meet the Process Automation Hall of Fame Inductees of 2009
- The Search for Automation's Holy Grail
ABB's New Extended Automation Suite Leads the Quest
- Look, kids! Real automation heroes!
Editor in Chief Walt Boyes reports on the automation stalwarts whose contributions to the art and practice of the discipline earned them a spot as inductees into the Process Automation Hall of Fame.
- The human aspects of process automation
Maurice Wilkins, Chairman of the World Batch Forum, focuses on batch management, automation and integration in this "special to the web" monthly column for ControlGlobal.com.
- Automation Profession: Dancing Backward in High Heels
Automation Is Being Recognized as a Profession, but the Bad News Is that You Need to Know More and More
- Automation Professionals Need New Set of Skills
Control magazine's Walt Boyes discussed the need for process automation professionals to demonstrate the benefits they bring to their organizations.
- November 2007 Control article, Automation Comes Alive
- November 2007 Control article podcast, Podcast: Automation Comes Alive
- Wireless SCADA Video Presentation 1
Several videos include formerly static supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) screen captures, which now come to life, with users narrating how they use function blocks to build applications.
- PLC and Ladder Logic
"Ladder Logic and a PLC" shows visitors how to use on-screen programming to make water-sensor signals actuate a pump motor.
- Hovercraft model PID controller
PID loop control is demonstrated by a user controlling a tabletop-based hovercraft.
- Process Control 1
"Process Control 1" shows how a user establishes a set point in another control loop, and it's followed by a series of short instructional entries.
- Yaskawa Motoman plays taiko drums
Two of Yaskawa's Motoman robots are programmed to play Japanese taito drums in a lab and then in a parade.
- PLC Christmas Lights
An Allen-Bradley SLC-50 PLC is used to coordinate a large house's Christmas lights to flash in time to a rock version of "God Bless You Merry Gentlemen."
- Autonomous blimp stage 2
Another PLC is used to control small motors on propellers on a Mylar blimp, allowing it to follow and adjust its course around a large classroom.