Good things usually come in small packages, but once in awhile many good things come in a small package. Such is the case with Endress+Hauser's new Proline Promass 100 compact flow transmitter with industry-specific sensors, direct-digital outputs, complete traditional functions, self-diagnostics, seamless communications, web server and more. "Four main groups of end users, including plant builders, skid fabricators, system integrators and solution providers, have been requesting and waiting for a compact, full-featured device that can deliver all their process variables and other values, and do it in a multivariable Coriolis flowmeter package, while still maintaining certifications for customer applications," explains Jerry Stevens, E+H's senior product marketing manager for flow products.
In general, Promass 100 measures mass flow, volume flow, density, viscosity, concentration and temperature with accuracy up to ±0.05% and with immunity from process and environmental influences. All measurements are fully traceable because the flowmeter is certified on calibration rigs accredited to ISO/IEC 17025.
Likewise, Promass 100 is approved for operation in Zone 2 and Class 1, Division 2 hazardous areas. And with its intrinsically safe Modbus output, it's approved for Zone 1 and Class 1, Division 1. "Many food and life science applications use high-pressure washing that must meet the IP69K standard for direct spray up to 1200 psi, but NEMA 4x doesn't satisfy these requirements, so traditional transmitters don't work for them," says Stevens. "Thanks to its new circuit board design and low-mass components, Promass 100 has a 30% smaller footprint than typical flow transmitters, and this compact design helps it meet these hygiene and sterility rules. Our design also uses 316L stainless steel enclosures, instead of the usual powder- or polyurethane-coated transmitters with gaskets, plexiglass windows and seals."
Next, Promass 100 enables seamless digital communications and system integration via EtherNet/IP and Modbus RS-485 protocols. "Going with direct-digital outputs allows us to integrate digital buses in Promass 100's device profile," add Stevens. "We're starting with EtherNet/IP and Modbus, but we'll add more digital protocols in coming months."
Also, because E+H's customers wanted common tooling and didn't want specialized tools for programming, Promass 100 includes an embedded, on-board web server, which enables programming via a web browser. Its use of Internet protocol (IP) addressing also includes several levels of security, while an embedded HistoROM chip performs secure data backup, restore and storage functions.
However, while its basic capabilities are innovative and useful, Promass 100 delivers its tailor-made advantages when it integrates with E+H's five industry-specific sensors:
- Promass S 100 is a food and beverage specialist for 3/8- in. to 2-in. lines that combines a fully drainable, single-tube, stainless-steel flowmeter with the compact Promass transmitter. It's rated to 150 °C (302 ºF) for CIP/SIP cycles, and it satisfies all 3-A and U.S. FDA rules.
- Promass P 100 is a single-tube, stainless-steel Coriolis flowmeter for the life sciences. Its drainable, hygienic design is cleanable on the inside and outside, making it ideal for sterile processes. It conforms to ASME-BPE 2007, FDA, EHEDG and 3-A process codes and standards.
- Promass I 100 is a straight-tube, dual-frequency-mode Coriolis flowmeter made from titanium for low-shear-stress on sensitive products, reduced pressure-drop and optional viscosity-measurement applications.
- Promass F 100 is a high-performance, dual-tube Coriolis flowmeter for custody-transfer quality, final product grading or other high-accuracy applications.
- Promass E 100 is a basic, lower-cost, dual-tube Coriolis flowmeter for utility, CIP, water or gas lines.
Ultimately, Stevens reports that Promass 100 will interface with 11 of E+H's sensors and related systems.
For more information, contact Endress+Hauser at 888/ENDRESS or visit http://www.us.endress.com/