Home » Web POLL results: Level with me
Web POLL results: Level with me
CONTROL previous Web Poll results
Level With Me: Why do your problem level applications give you fits?
- The application was poorly designed: 34.15%
- The fluid/solid is very hard to measure: 25.61%
- The process upsets are very fast and level changes too quickly: 15.85%
- The measurement technology we use gives bad readings: 14.63%
- The meter is too high-maintenance to keep going: 9.76%
Which level devices give you the most problems?
- Differential pressure (DP) sensors: 25.61%
- Bubbler-type sensors: 18.29%
- Ultrasonic-type sensors: 23.17%
- Mechanical-type: 17.07%
- Radar-type sensors: 4.88%
- Other: 10.98%
- Most sensors cannot detect foam levels and therefore fail. Once the foam touches the sensors it gives the impression that the tank is always full.
- Our biggest problems come in startup of the refrigeration system and attempting to regulate the level of refrigerant in the low-pressure receiver. During startup the refrigerant changes state rapidly from liquid to gas resulting in instantaneous changes of 25 in. in a 35-in. tank. We’re finally at the point of simply ignoring the level during startup.
- We have used displacers and DP transmitters for level for years, with varying results., However, we now preferentially use TDR (GWR) level devices and problems are fewer and measurement more reliable.
- The LP and HP legs in DP type level measurement systems become empty and we have to manually fill the fluid whose level is to be measured. A special T assembly has also to be made. IF such an application is used in vacuum service then even a slight leakage leads to the emptying of a leg.
- 05/17/2013 Friday p.m. Wrap-Up:This Week on ControlGlobal and Elsewhere
- 05/16/2013 What's Bad Weather Costing Us?
- 05/16/2013 BP, Shell, Statoil Raided by EC
Invensys' SimSci Suite 2013 Now with More Usability Features
Invensys releases SimSci Suite 2013, a DVD catalogue providing a single source for all of Invensys' current SimSci-Esscor design, operator training, simulation and optimization software
Honeywell Integrates and Certifies FMC722 Subsea Automation Protocol
The integration and certification of these solutions will boost the productivity of oil and gas field operators and engineers
- 05/15/2013 What we can learn about safety from the Titanic hearings
- 05/15/2013 Monsanto Muscatine named 2012 HART Plant of the Year
- 05/14/2013 Siemens gas chromatograph is ISA Product of the Year
- 05/14/2013 IChemE issues call for papers for fall conference
- 05/10/2013 CEO Hogan to leave ABB for private reasons
- All news »
Access the entire print issue on-line and be notified each month via e-mail when your new issue is ready for you. Subscribe today.
- Featured White Papers