MACTek Corporation announces the completion of the development of its wireless adapter for use with HART-enabled devices. The newest member to the family of MACTek HART products, the Bullet, provides a cost-effective means of access to real-time information from installed intelligent HART-enabled field devices. The Bullet is the latest addition to its line of proven VIATOR PC modems. The Bullet WirelessHART adapter will be available in a general purpose non-certified model for use in non-hazardous areas in October 2009. The certified IS and Ex-proof model will be available after obtaining international agency approvals, with shipment expected to start early first quarter of 2010.
The Bullet enables existing wired HART field devices to communicate with host applications by means of WirelessHART technology. The Bullet is installed permanently by screwing it directly into an available spare port on HART field device or connecting anywhere on the 4-20mA current loop. A wired HART field device retrofitted with the Bullet communicates its process variable (PV) over the existing wiring to the existing DCS and simultaneously communicates diagnostic and device information over the WirelessHART network to process and asset management applications.
The Bullet has options for power scavenging or local/direct power. The Bullet, when powered by the current loop, saves users the long-term cost of battery maintenance, replacement and disposal programs. The Bullet Local/Direct power option can be used when the field device is powered either by a power supply or an external battery/solar system. In the case of external battery power, the Bullet provides battery power management by cycling the field device power and taking periodic readings.
“I am pleased to announce the completion of this exciting and innovative product development.” says Thomas Holmes, president. “The fact that this device connects to existing installed HART-enabled devices provides a huge benefit to users as they continue to lower their operating cost by providing access to the stranded valuable information sitting in their measurement and control assets. Now that the development has finished, we will submit the Bullet to all required international agencies and the HART Communication Foundation for testing, certification and registration.”
The Bullet has the same reliability, quality design and ease of use as our VIATOR Bluetooth, USB and RS232 HART PC modems. Fully compliant with the HART communication specifications, the product family of wired and wireless solutions is reliable and works with any HART-enabled device.
Key features include:
* HART 7.1 Registered with the HART Communication Foundation - fully compliant for communication reliability when the WirelessHART test suite is available;
* Loop powered – no batteries or other power sources required;
* Connects directly to HART field device or anywhere on the 4-20 mA loop;
* MACTek patent pending StepVolt technology sets insertion voltage in steps from 1 to 2.5 volts to optimize trade off between available loop power and wireless communication bandwidth;
* Direct Power option when local DC power is available--system power, external battery/solar system;
* Internal 250-ohm loop current sense resistor provided, configurable by WirelessHART command;
* In Direct Power mode, can switch field device on/off to take periodic readings to save power;
* Multidrop support for up to 6 devices;
* 300+ meters open air range;
* Intrinsically safe, explosion-/flame-proof design suitable for use in hazardous areas.