Home » Engineering Documentation - Business Opportunity or Technical Challenge
Engineering Documentation - Business Opportunity or Technical Challenge
By Mark Goodwin, McLaren Software
Companies that operate and maintain large physical assets like oil refineries, power stations, water distribution infrastructure, factories and airports, face a number of challenges and opportunities relating to the management and control of engineering documents.
In this paper, we will discuss good working practices for assuring the integrity of asset documentation. What this means is that, in addition to making asset documentation readily available, you must also guarantee they are accurate, relevant and compliant.
If you are the owner/operator of any large physical asset you will be under pressure to "get more for less" (extract more value from the assets next year while reducing operational and capital expenditure). The value of your assets may well be measured in billions of dollars and without doubt output and costs measured in hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Assets are renovated, reconfigured, extended and eventually decommissioned to meet changing business demands or external regulatory requirements. It is vitally important that documentation is controlled so that it complies with industry regulations and is reliable and accurate for safety and efficiency. Documentation must be available for operational and inspection purposes for the life of the asset. Effective operation is impossible without accurate up-to-date health and safety documents, policies, procedures, and as-built (or "best so far") engineering documents and drawings.
Alarm Mobility Increases Hydro Plant Reliability
integrating the TopView Alarm Notification Software with the SCADA System, Operators Are Now Able to Receive Alarm Messages in Real-Time on Their Cell Phones and Can Acknowledge These Alarms from Anywhere
- 05/09/2013 groov gets IOS and Android apps
- 05/01/2013 Swagelok publishes comprehensive sampling systems reference book
- 05/01/2013 Krohne provides instrumentation for Chobani plant
- 04/19/2013 Attendees Learn About Suppliers' Latest Foundation Products
- 04/19/2013 Huang Buyu, Now Retired from Sinopec SEI, Is Honored
- 04/19/2013 Dave Glanzer Addresses General Assembly Attendees
- 04/19/2013 FOUNDATION Fieldbus-Certified Training Center
- 04/19/2013 FOUNDATION Fieldbus Technology Helps Power Company Save
- 04/19/2013 Foundation for Remote Operations Management (ROM) Provides an Extended Information Architecture
- All news »
Access the entire print issue on-line and be notified each month via e-mail when your new issue is ready for you. Subscribe today.
- Featured White Papers