Home » Generating Efficient Calibration for ATCO Power
Generating Efficient Calibration for ATCO Power
ATCO Power develops, manages and owns independent power generation plants. These plants are technologically advanced and environmentally progressive in nature. ATCO generates approximately 5,000 megawatts of power through 19 plants worldwide. Sixteen of these plants are operated by ATCO Power in Canada and the United Kingdom while three are located in Australia operated by ATCO Australia. Alberta-based ATCO Ltd., holds assets of approximately $11 billion. The company has over 8,000 employees.
ATCO Power is a division of the ATCO Group of Companies. One of ATCO Power's largest plants in Alberta is the 670 MW Battle River Generating Station. This coal-ﬁred generating station produces an electric capacity of 670 megawatts. There are three main units at the plant, named Units 3, 4 & 5. Alstom boilers and General Electric turbine-generators make up Units 3 and 4. An Alstom boiler and a Hitachi turbine-generator are contained in Unit 5. The station has been in operation since 1956. Coal-ﬁred generating stations, like Battle River, produce the bulk of Alberta's electricity.
The Electrical & Instrumentation Department at Battle River is responsible for maintaining and calibrating all instrumentation, including transmitters, switches and thermocouples. Shane Haugen and Kurt Voss are Instrumentation Engineering Technologists at Battle River.
The Electrical & Instrumentation Department's main goal is to function as a Preventative & Predictive Maintenance team. Shane and Kurt perform weekly calibrations and troubleshooting as a routine part of maintaining the process system and preventing incidents. Calibration also plays a vital role during plant shutdowns and turnarounds.
Alarm Mobility Increases Hydro Plant Reliability
integrating the TopView Alarm Notification Software with the SCADA System, Operators Are Now Able to Receive Alarm Messages in Real-Time on Their Cell Phones and Can Acknowledge These Alarms from Anywhere
- 05/09/2013 groov gets IOS and Android apps
- 05/01/2013 Swagelok publishes comprehensive sampling systems reference book
- 05/01/2013 Krohne provides instrumentation for Chobani plant
- 04/19/2013 Attendees Learn About Suppliers' Latest Foundation Products
- 04/19/2013 Huang Buyu, Now Retired from Sinopec SEI, Is Honored
- 04/19/2013 Dave Glanzer Addresses General Assembly Attendees
- 04/19/2013 FOUNDATION Fieldbus-Certified Training Center
- 04/19/2013 FOUNDATION Fieldbus Technology Helps Power Company Save
- 04/19/2013 Foundation for Remote Operations Management (ROM) Provides an Extended Information Architecture
- All news »
Access the entire print issue on-line and be notified each month via e-mail when your new issue is ready for you. Subscribe today.
- Featured White Papers