Home » Beamex Case Story: Sellafield
Beamex Case Story: Sellafield
The company has sites at Sellaﬁeld in Cumbria and Capenhurst in Cheshire as well as an extensive engineering design capability based at Risley in Warrington. Now under the ownership of Nuclear Management Partners, Sellaﬁeld Ltd has the largest concentration of nuclear expertise in Europe, with over 50 years of experience.
The Sellaﬁeld site in Cumbria employs 12,500 people. The site itself is divided into 10 different divisions. Alistair Norwood is the Technical Engineering Support at the engineering department of one of the site's divisions. He gives advice regarding calibrations for the entire site and controls the site's calibration database. Alistair's division has its own calibration facility, which employs ﬁve calibration technicians. The division has 60 calibration technicians in total.
The main calibration needs at the site are related to pressure, temperature and ﬂow measurements. The site itself has approximately 80,000 plant instruments that must be calibrated regularly. Alistair's division as such has between 20,000 and 30,000 calibration work orders on a yearly basis. Because of this, the Sellaﬁeld site has demanding calibration requirements and calibration plays a crucial role in the site maintenance.
"It's all about ensuring safe ty and taking care of the community", Alistair explains the philosophy of calibration. Calibrations are performed at the Sellaﬁeld site according to an annual maintenance plan. All calibration results are documented on calibration certiﬁcates, which are accessible for audits. The site also utilizes a maintenance management system, which keeps records of what has been calibrated, when and by whom. The actual detailed calibration certiﬁcate is stored in paper format. There are also a total of 20 people in Alistair's division whose main task is to prepare maintenance and calibration instructions and procedures.
Alarm Mobility Increases Hydro Plant Reliability
integrating the TopView Alarm Notification Software with the SCADA System, Operators Are Now Able to Receive Alarm Messages in Real-Time on Their Cell Phones and Can Acknowledge These Alarms from Anywhere
- 05/09/2013 groov gets IOS and Android apps
- 05/01/2013 Swagelok publishes comprehensive sampling systems reference book
- 05/01/2013 Krohne provides instrumentation for Chobani plant
- 04/19/2013 Attendees Learn About Suppliers' Latest Foundation Products
- 04/19/2013 Huang Buyu, Now Retired from Sinopec SEI, Is Honored
- 04/19/2013 Dave Glanzer Addresses General Assembly Attendees
- 04/19/2013 FOUNDATION Fieldbus-Certified Training Center
- 04/19/2013 FOUNDATION Fieldbus Technology Helps Power Company Save
- 04/19/2013 Foundation for Remote Operations Management (ROM) Provides an Extended Information Architecture
- All news »
Access the entire print issue on-line and be notified each month via e-mail when your new issue is ready for you. Subscribe today.
- Featured White Papers