Home » Automated Brew House
Automated Brew House
A fully automated 50bbl Brew house is capable of producing 400bbls (12400gal.) of beer per day. One Pentra Micro PLC controls the entire system via: 3 modulating steam valves, 78 air actuated valves, 11 pumps, 4 water modulating valves, an entire grain handling system, 3 gear motors, numerous pressure and temperature transducer inputs, 4 flow meters, 11 empty pipe sensors, and many more devices.
PLC Process Design
Pentra Micro PLC used: (1) FC5A-D12X1E
- Modbus TCPIP Master/Slave to another FC5A-D12X1E for CIP functions
- Ethernet to new 12” HG4G touchscreen
- Modbus RS485 to 11 Hitachi VFDs
- Ethernet to Control Room PC for SCADA operation via IDEC TCPIP protocol
List of Modules attached
- (5) FC4A-J8C1 - A total of 37 analog inputs used
- (2) FC4A-K4A1 - A total of 7 analog outputs used
- FC4A-HPC3 - Modbus RS485 comm. connected to 11 Hitachi VFDs
- Expansion power module
- (4) FC4A-N32B3 - A total of 176 digital inputs used
- (4) FC4A-T32K3 - A total of 186 digital outputs used
Features and Benefits of using the embedded Ethernet MicroSmart Pentra
- Ethernet based interface allowed us to install a standard PC with internet explorer and use the built-in control and monitor features from the 12" HG4G. By NOT having to purchase a third party SCADA program, we saved the customer approx. $25,000.
- Ethernet based connection allowed multiple interactions through only one port (i.e. touchscreen, programming, TCPIP Modbus link to another PLC) thus saving module space for more analog I/O.
- Ethernet based connection allowed for easy remote connection to the PLC and touchscreen.
- Ethernet based connection will be used for easily adding future touchscreens.
- Ethernet based PLC processor was powerful enough to run the entire Brew House using only one MicroSmart Pentra PLC.
Simple diagram of design/system
Picture of actual control panel with IDEC PLC and modules
Alarm Mobility Increases Hydro Plant Reliability
integrating the TopView Alarm Notification Software with the SCADA System, Operators Are Now Able to Receive Alarm Messages in Real-Time on Their Cell Phones and Can Acknowledge These Alarms from Anywhere
- 05/09/2013 groov gets IOS and Android apps
- 05/01/2013 Swagelok publishes comprehensive sampling systems reference book
- 05/01/2013 Krohne provides instrumentation for Chobani plant
- 04/19/2013 Attendees Learn About Suppliers' Latest Foundation Products
- 04/19/2013 Huang Buyu, Now Retired from Sinopec SEI, Is Honored
- 04/19/2013 Dave Glanzer Addresses General Assembly Attendees
- 04/19/2013 FOUNDATION Fieldbus-Certified Training Center
- 04/19/2013 FOUNDATION Fieldbus Technology Helps Power Company Save
- 04/19/2013 Foundation for Remote Operations Management (ROM) Provides an Extended Information Architecture
- All news »
Access the entire print issue on-line and be notified each month via e-mail when your new issue is ready for you. Subscribe today.
- Featured White Papers