Here, There Be Dragons. It's a Scary New World in Process Control, but You Can Defend Your Plant Against Cyber Attack
Fewer Rivalries and Better Collaboration Are Allowing Distributed Processes to Apply More IT-Based Expertise, Software and Networking to Streamline Operations—and May Even Enable More BYOD, If Security Can Be Maintained
Not knowing the Implications of the PID Form In an Existing Control System Being Migrated or the PID Form Learned In a University Course Can Cause Gross Errors In the Tuning Parameters and Potential Instability
Conference Presentations and Discussions Included Actual ICS Cyber Incidents, New ICS Cyber Vulnerabilities and New ICS Cybersecurity Technologies
- Visible Data Means Operations Excellence
- From Asset and System Monitoring to Enterprise Optimization
- Virtualization Coming Soon to a Controller Near You
- Leadership Enables Right Decisions on Sea and in Oil Fields
- CC-Link IE Field Industrial Ethernet Seminars
- Is Technology Good Enough to Replace People at Their Jobs?
- DNV GL's Joint Industry Project (JIP) to Deliver Effective and Cost-Efficient BOP Maintenance
- exida Announces 2014 Safety Awards Winners
- Beginner's Guide to Differential Pressure Level Transmitters
- Cybersecurity: Control Systems Are Under Attack
- Process Automation Programming Language. One for All
- Controllers: Direct vs. Reverse-Acting Control
- An Introduction to ISA TR84.00.07
- Download an Industry Guide to Control System Engineering
- Flow and Level Instrumentation
- Measuring Molasses with a WORM
Not knowing the implications of the PID Form in an existing control system being migrated or the PID Form learned in a University course can cause gross errors in the tuning parameters and potential instability. The PID Form predominantly used today is not the Form in most of the controllers installed before the 1990s and is not the Form seen in most control theory textbooks. Here we alert you to the differences and consequences. An Appendix provides simple equations to convert between the different PID Forms and block diagrams in the time frame that are not available in the literature.read more
The highlights from the 2014 ICS Cyber Security Conference can be found at www.icscybersecurityconference.com. Conference presentations and discussions included actual ICS cyber incidents, new ICS cyber vulnerabilities, and new ICS cyber security technologies.read more
It has been a busy summer. For the last couple of months I have had the pleasure of pretending to be a venture capitalist. Earlier this year I joined a local organization called the IT Entrepreneurs Network (ITEN) as a mentor. This is a local organization that exists to help startups in the local area move from the concept stage to securing funding for their business. I am in St. Louis, not silicon valley of the MIT corridor or the Pacific Northwest, and access to resources such as venture capitalists, advisors, and programming skills is not as easy as it is in those locations, hence the need for a networking forum for would-be innovators. One of the mentor roles is serving on a panel of mock angel investors. We meet with and critique the pitches from startups as they present their business plans to us as though we were potential investors. This has given me some new insight into the innovative process.read more
Innovative HART communications specialty company ProComSol announced earlier this month that they now have an Android based application that when combined with their Bluetooth modem allows any Android Ice Cream Sandwich based system to be used as a handheld communicator for any HART 7 or earlier device.read more
Have a pressing question? Save yourself the hefty consulting fees by getting the answers to your questions here.
Recent Job Postings
Valuable Career Resources
Put your anonymous Career Profile up today and employers will begin pitching you job opportunities.
Your personal Job Alerts notify you by email of new jobs posted that match your search preferences.
Browse our content library, enlist the help of a trained career coach or simply ask an expert for career advice.