In Which Applications Should We Consider the Use of the Analog Heat Detection Cable and In Which the Digital Heat Detection Cable?
Repsol Embarks on Seven-year Migration to Unify its Control and Safety Systems
'Control Room of the Future' Among New Capabilities Featured at HUG EMEA 2013
- Let the DCS Fit the Process
- DTMs Enable Access to the Advanced Diagnostics
- How Vulnerable Is Your Safety?
- Farewell to Our Editor in Chief Walt Boyes
- How to Extend Gas Chromatography's Role
- Honeywell's Integrated Control and Safety Systems Automates Al Zour Refinery in Kuwait
- HMI Design Guidelines Second Edition
- Thomas Crone Takes Over at ProSoft
- Beginner's Guide to Differential Pressure Level Transmitters
- ABB Automation & Power World 2012 - Live Coverage
- Top 50 Automation Companies for 2011
- How Vulnerable Is Your Safety?
- Rate your plant's alarm system performance
- PID loop tuning tips pocket guide
- Field Instrumentation Technical Handbook
- Combining the Elements: A Special Report from Emerson Exchange 2013
- HMS's IXXAT CAN Repeater
- Ultra Electroncis' Nuclear Qualified Pressure Transmitters
- AutomationDirect's Air-to-Air Heat Exchangers for Enclosures
I was blindsided this morning by a request that I show up at the Division Awards Luncheon...read more
Here we use the broader definition of linearity to mean constant dynamics. A linear control loop has a constant total loop dead time, constant primary and secondary time constants, and a constant open loop gain. This perspective reviews the sources of dynamics and causes of nonlinearity.read more
ENISA- the European Union Agency for Network and Information Security – issued a report on patching SCADA systems: “Window of exposure … a real problem for SCADA systems? Recommendations for Europe on SCADA patching” dated December 2013. To me, the report has several significant shortcomings starting with who was NOT involved in the development of this report as well as the apparent lack of understanding of what makes patching control systems unique. The ENISA document is correct in stating there will be a window of exposure. However, there are really two issues:
1) What can be done to make the unpatched control system “invisible or inaccessible” so patching becomes irrelevant?
2) If not, what policies, operational changes, etc should be employed during this window?
I saw nothing in the document to address these issues.
It has been a busy summer. For the last couple of months I have had the pleasure of pretending to be a venture capitalist. Earlier this year I joined a local organization called the IT Entrepreneurs Network (ITEN) as a mentor. This is a local organization that exists to help startups in the local area move from the concept stage to securing funding for their business. I am in St. Louis, not silicon valley of the MIT corridor or the Pacific Northwest, and access to resources such as venture capitalists, advisors, and programming skills is not as easy as it is in those locations, hence the need for a networking forum for would-be innovators. One of the mentor roles is serving on a panel of mock angel investors. We meet with and critique the pitches from startups as they present their business plans to us as though we were potential investors. This has given me some new insight into the innovative process.read more
Though data on the HART/IP protocol is still difficult to come by – unless you want to shell out a membership or purchase the specifications for just under $1000. The need for the HART/IP protocol was for the backhaul network between WirelessHart gateways and the control system to provide access to the configuration and diagnostics information in the underlying WirelessHart transmitters, not just the process variable in a single environment. Until the HART/IP gateways are available and the protocol is ported to the associated Control systems, Users will continue to have to map parameters to other protocols such as Modbus/TCP or Ethernet/IP via the gateway access point.read more
Have a pressing question? Save yourself the hefty consulting fees by getting the answers to your questions here.
Recent Job Postings
Valuable Career Resources
Put your anonymous Career Profile up today and employers will begin pitching you job opportunities.
Your personal Job Alerts notify you by email of new jobs posted that match your search preferences.
Browse our content library, enlist the help of a trained career coach or simply ask an expert for career advice.