Control State of Technology Reports
Control's State of Technology series is designed to provide process industry professionals with an up-to-date, top-level understanding of a range of key process automation topics. Each report is a compendium of the latest trends, articles, back-to-basics tutorials, application stories and product solutions compiled by our editors.
- Better and more efficient ways to control temperature and humidity
- Choosing among the leading protection methods for hazardous areas
- Selecting the most efficient approach to enclosure modification and customization
- The increasing potential for reducing costs and standardizing enclosures using electronic marshalling
This update to our 2015 Oil & Gas ebook explores in great detail how rising global demand, climate change concerns and the drive to U.S. energy independence have created a strong environment for innovation in the process control industry.
- Oil & Gas Forum: Primed to exploit enterprise connectivity
- How SCADA provides wellhead awareness
- Capturing APC benefits from secondary units
- Foundation fieldbus in hazardous areas
- Detection of oil in or on water
- Excerpts from our Ask the Experts series
This I/O Systems eHandbook covers the latest technology trends and developments, including tutorials, application testimonials and product solutions.
Topics covered include:
- Programmable I/O can be a multitasking master
- ExxonMobil commits to thinking differently with electrical 19
integration, configurable I/O
- Benefits of integrating smart I/O in asset management system
From sourcing and ensuring uninterrupted flows of clean electricity to monitoring, regulating and metering generation and consumption throughout a facility, process automation professionals are well advised to seek and control power.
Control’s latest State of Technology report delves into the many aspects of power systems of interest in process plants. Topics include:
- Standardization for wireless sensor power sources
- ExxonMobil’s efforts to streamline capital project execution
- Benefits of merging process and power/electrical controls
- And much more
This collection of coverage from Control magazine and ControlGlobal.com delivers the most recent trends and developments in level instrumentation.
Topics in this latest State of Technology ebook include:
- How to deal with (or eliminate) DP impulse line problems
- Control oil/water interfaces
- Improve boiler drum level control
- And much more ...
Topics covered include:
- PLCs and PACs can solve the protocol translation problem
- Four ways to collect process plant data
- Creative ways to cut costs in hazardous areas
- How PLCs of critical facilities are protected from cyber attacks
- Case Study: Process automation, controls boost production at yogurt plant
This anthology of recent coverage in Control magazine and ControlGlobal.com highlights recent developments in flow control and includes examples of outstanding implementations in the process industries. Topics covered include:
- Digital signals support low-maintenance approach to differential pressure measurement
- Why and how to establish installed valve flow characteristics
- Flow technologies team up to offer users better measurements
- What is the difference between uncertainty and accuracy in flowmeters?
- Experts weigh in on distillation plant measurement problems
- Should you use a Coriolis flowmeter as a backup system?
To help keep up with the newest trends, we've compiled this special report of recent coverage in Control magazine and on ControlGlobal.com that highlights the past year’s operator interface developments. It also includes examples of recent outstanding implementations in the process industries.
Some specific topics covered include the following:
- How better designed systems help operators respond to abnormal situations;
- what you need to look for in operator displays;
- the real cost of poorly performing HMI systems;
- how to create a lasting plan for managing alarms and more.
- Wired, wireless and the IIoT
- A second chance for fieldbus
- Cybersecurity myths and "mythnomers"
- Networks in practice and more.
The editors of Control have compiled this 38-page ebook designed to explain the latest trends and improvements in level and flow technologies. Combining capabilities means better measurement and smarter, more capable sensors and transmitters. You'll learn how using networking methods and data management tools can increase the range of applications and help users make better decisions. Topics covered include:
- Advances in flow measurement and control
- Advances in flow instrumentation
- Level technologies-faster and more precise
- Wireless level monitoring
- Preventing tank farm overfill hazards
This 45-page ebook designed to explain how the strong outlook for extraction and refining fuels technical advances for safety, compliance and productivity. It explores in great detail how rising global demand, climate change concerns and the drive to U.S. energy independence have created a strong environment for innovation in the process control industry. Download the report and learn about:
- Improving oil and gas well safety
- How refineries get back on track to save energy
- How to combine pipeline control and safety and more.
The latest in field calibrators and management tools
This 35-page ebook is designed to explain the evolution of field calibrators over the past three decades and what's in store for the future. It explores in great detail technology trends and discusses the pros and cons of both analog and digital calibrators. Whether you're interested in current trends, products or tutorials, you'll find what you need in this exclusive collection. Learn about:
- Calibration in the 21st century
- Declining need for calibration?
- Smart calibration and more.
As we look to the future, we see rapid changes coming in operator interface, computing, data analytics and virtual reality. This state of technology report shows the breadth of application of our existing control systems and demonstrates the strength of the foundation they offer for future developments. This report covers topics including:
- Blending control with enterprise applications
- Real-time control for enterprise optimization
- Combining building and process automation systems and more.
Optimizing the operator interface is a critical issue in plant safety and performance, one in which people, technology and procedures have to be perfectly aligned. The new State of Technology Report: Operator Interface is a compilation of the most useful articles on this topic from the editors of Control. Topics include:
- Best practices for operator interface
- Optimizing operator performance
- The latest in HMI developments
- The control room of the future and more.
All you need to know about I/O can be found in the pages of this ebook. Technology trends, articles and tutorials written by the editors of Control and including:
- How smarter I/O addresses a host of issues
- Why wire, cable and connectors are crucial
- Why industrial couplers aren't commodities
- What additional work remains, now that automation is off the critical path.
The technology trends, articles and tutorials in this ebook are compiled from recently published pages of Control magazine. Topics include:
- Advances in flow instrumentation
- How level reaches new heights
- The right tool for tricky measurement jobs
- The lowdown on radar level management and more.