Typical Process Control Problems
George Buckbee, marketing and product development VP at Expertune Inc., says several problems usually are found when users examine their process applications to implement data collection and optimization updates.
- Undersized control valves and other equipment
- Failed or nearly failed instruments or other equipment
- Too widely fluctuating process oscillations or interactions following equipment upsets, which can increase wear and tear and product quality problems
- Chronic mechanical issues with valves or other components
- Control system configuration and strategy issues that can cause instability, poor interactions, and adversely affect production efficiency, resource use and final quality
- Controller algorithm errors by programmers and tuning problems by operators
Common Data Collection Tools
George Buckbee, marketing and product development VP at Expertune Inc., reports there are several main types of mostly software-based data collection tools that users can employ to improve their process applications.
- General statistical packages used to perform calculations on measurements
- Control-loop monitoring or performance supervision software that analyze data and present results
- Alarm management solutions that examine all alerts and now prioritize then for users
- Modeling and simulation tools that duplicate process behaviors, and help users continuously track process performance
- Merged versions of these first four tool types, such as combining loop-monitoring and alarm functions
Presentations and Case Studies
CFE Valle de Mexico uses Yokogawas Exaquantum, DX and MW100 for pre- performance.
A Case Study of East Kansas Agri-Energys (EKAE) Application of Advanced Process Control in an Ethanol Dry Mill Process
National Grid Uses OSIsoft and SmartSignal via Transpara-enabled display to monitor gas and electric services
Arkema Chemicals achieves ROI with OSIsofts PI System
Jura Cements Hat-Trick
Jura Cements Wildegg plant partners with ABB Switzerland to implement model-predictive control (MPC)
Control Performance Supervision Enhances Revamp and upgraded ethylene cracker achieves targeted production rates in record time at Borealis Polymers Oy
OPC for Process Historian Data Optimization
OPC not only provides a standardized mechanism for collection of real time process data, it also enables multi-vendor historical analysis solutions that help maximize return on process history investments.
Bela Liptak's Seven-Part Series on Distillation Control and Optimization MMA Oinclude ARC Podcast and Futurecast on Calibration sponsored by Martel)