Similar to any new technology emerging on the process control front, big data can only help users make better decisions if they understand what it is, how it can affect their controls and processes, and how they can use it to optimize operations.
Some of the primary tasks include:
- Investigate business areas, facilities and applications that could benefit from big data;
- Inventory existing processes, data sources and analysis devices and software for information gaps;
- Evaluate possible big data tools, including software and statistical packages, server strategies for data storage, and virtualized and cloud-based computing services;
- Examine how to coordinate big data device and software with existing data acquisition systems, historians, and diagnostic and analytics functions;
- Determine and enable cybersecurity capabilities for planned big data implementation, including software, servers, networking and cloud devices;
- Apply chosen big data solution, but arrange for and periodically carry out future reexamination and adjustments as needed.