It may seem contradictory to start early and wait, but consider this: The situation is always changing. So, if you invest effort into a project and complete it early, by the time it is needed, “they” may want something totally different. The customer changes its mind as it comes to understand its needs, the business environment context changes, the enterprise management changes, laws and regulations change, and as time progresses, we come to understand nuances that reshape the objective. You’ve probably worked on a project that was shelved before its completion, cancelled by a seemingly capricious leadership. So, it makes sense to not invest time and effort in something that might never be needed, or make a final decision that may be overturned later when the situation has changed or is better understood. This would just waste time, start processes that would have to be overturned, or reveal an error in a decision. So, wait until the last moment to start on a project or declare a choice.Read More
More From This Voice
- Jul 9, 2019Just because you’re a grown-up doesn’t mean you’re complete
- Feb 20, 2019If we gave an elephant a choice to eat plants or fish, it will choose to eat the plants. If we give the professor a choice of what to teach, they choose topics for their well-being.
- Jan 2, 2019Help develop the potential of those of us in research and development
- Oct 19, 2018The application of a troubleshooting procedure is ubiquitous and frequent
- Sep 28, 2018The problem with fear of failure is that it’s completely rational.
- Jun 22, 2018This concept eases troubleshooting, CV-MV pairing, developing models and more
- May 23, 2018
- Mar 20, 2018As we grow, we go through several awakening stages.
- Feb 26, 2018The simple mathematics can be clarified with mechanical analogies and an example of level control.
- Jan 26, 2018A positive culture with a little structure almost guarantees good results
- Jan 9, 2018Be wary when applying this imperfect solution to an all too common problem
- Nov 6, 2017We migrate to an environment that affirms our persona and promises fulfillment of our personal drivers. Therein is the danger.
- Sep 30, 2017This simplified set of guidelines combines classic methods with years of practical experience.
- Aug 30, 2017Often, a human wants to fix something, but without understanding cause-and-effect mechanisms or statistical vagaries in a signal, the human tweaking to improve just increases variation
- Jun 28, 2017'The right place is not one person’s view, but the collective view of all stakeholders and constituencies, of both today and tomorrow,' says R. Russell Rhinehart
- Jan 31, 2017This heuristic approach is fast, can be done with confidence, and minimizes upsets.
- Dec 8, 2016FOPDT model has demonstrated utility for controller tuning rules, for structuring decouplers and feedforward control algorithms.
- Jun 18, 2015Workplaces will have work with academia and do some of the heavy lifting to better prepare young engineers for work
- Mar 30, 2015Four years is not nearly time enough to train an engineer, and schools are long on theory and short on practice
- Feb 6, 2013How to Calculate the Zero and Span Errors Caused by the Differences in Temperatures and Pressures Between Calibration and Actual