One child is trained to appease their younger sibling. As a result, the younger child just becomes more demanding, making the older child more submissive. But such acquiescence pleases parents, which the older child is seeking to do. The two children learn that playing those different roles is the way to get what they want. When they become professionals, the younger’s “way” is to aggressively butt in to take what others might be about to do. It may be good defensive behavior on a basketball court or soccer field, but not in a team-oriented, collaborative, professional environment. The older seeks to comfort and save less-capable employees who find the work too hard. This diverts talent, and also undermines the organization.Read More
More From This Voice
- Feb 20, 2019If we gave an elephant a choice to eat plants or fish, it will choose to eat the plants. If we give the professor a choice of what to teach, they choose topics for their well-being.
- Jan 2, 2019Help develop the potential of those of us in research and development
- Oct 19, 2018The application of a troubleshooting procedure is ubiquitous and frequent
- Sep 28, 2018The problem with fear of failure is that it’s completely rational.
- Jun 22, 2018This concept eases troubleshooting, CV-MV pairing, developing models and more
- May 23, 2018
- Mar 20, 2018As we grow, we go through several awakening stages.
- Feb 26, 2018The simple mathematics can be clarified with mechanical analogies and an example of level control.
- Jan 26, 2018A positive culture with a little structure almost guarantees good results
- Jan 9, 2018Be wary when applying this imperfect solution to an all too common problem
- Nov 6, 2017We migrate to an environment that affirms our persona and promises fulfillment of our personal drivers. Therein is the danger.
- Sep 30, 2017This simplified set of guidelines combines classic methods with years of practical experience.
- Aug 30, 2017Often, a human wants to fix something, but without understanding cause-and-effect mechanisms or statistical vagaries in a signal, the human tweaking to improve just increases variation
- Jun 28, 2017'The right place is not one person’s view, but the collective view of all stakeholders and constituencies, of both today and tomorrow,' says R. Russell Rhinehart
- Jan 31, 2017This heuristic approach is fast, can be done with confidence, and minimizes upsets.
- Dec 8, 2016FOPDT model has demonstrated utility for controller tuning rules, for structuring decouplers and feedforward control algorithms.
- Jun 18, 2015Workplaces will have work with academia and do some of the heavy lifting to better prepare young engineers for work
- Mar 30, 2015Four years is not nearly time enough to train an engineer, and schools are long on theory and short on practice
- Feb 6, 2013How to Calculate the Zero and Span Errors Caused by the Differences in Temperatures and Pressures Between Calibration and Actual