1. Top 50 Automation Companies of 2017: Digitalization takes over
The storm surge of digital transformation, driven by the IIoT, cloud computing, advanced analytics and the push to managed services, continues to transform how the Top 50 do business. Read more.
2. Emerson to acquire GE's Intelligent Platforms business
Emerson announced it has agreed to acquire Intelligent Platforms, a division of General Electric. Intelligent Platforms’ PLCs will enable Emerson to provide broader control and management of operations. Read more.
3. The Columbia Gas natural gas pipeline ruptures were process sensor-related and there is still little understanding
The over-pressure of a Columbia Gas of Massachusetts Low-pressure Natural Gas Distribution System was not a malicious event but rather a lack of appropriate process sensor monitoring, SCADA control and understanding of similar events. Read more.
4. Compressor surge control: Deeper understanding, simulation can eliminate instabilities
We tend to rely on companies specializing in surge control to protect our plants, but what happens if something is not quite right in the middle of night, causing a surging fright and piping to take flight? Read more.
5. Cooling tower safety vs optimization: The operational and safety aspects of cooling towers
In Part 1 of this two-part series, Béla Lipták describes the operational and safety aspects of cooling towers. The next column will discuss control and optimization. Read more.
7. Ask the Experts: Cascade reactor temperature control
Béla Lipták and other experts explain how to set up and tune external heat exchanger controls for safety and stability. Read more.
8. Understanding P, I and D
It is important to understand what the proportional, integral and derivative terms do within the PID controller. That understanding is essential to choose appropriate action, troubleshoot controllers, choose appropriate modifications, or set up advanced controllers. Read more.
9. Savannah River Doubles Retention Rate of Young Engineers
The organization's Dale Nicosia explained how it increased the retention rate of young engineers from 40 percent to 95 percent. Read more.
10. Safety excellence cuts costs, boosts profits at Petronas
Safety isn’t free, but doing it right can improve profits when it reduces the costs of unreliability. Sharul Rashid, principal engineer, instrument control systems, Petronas, explained how Petronas refinery in Malaysia achieved profitable safety. Read more.