ZURICH – ABB has been awarded an oil and gas contract worth $20 million for providing power and automation technologies to a floating production, storage and offloading vessel (FPSO) built by the Chinese shipyard COSCO Nantong for Dana Petroleum. The contract was signed in the second quarter of 2013.ABB's delivery will contribute to efficient and safe operations, and reliable power distribution on board. The FPSO will have Sevan Marine's characteristic cylindrical design and will be located on the Western Isles field on the UK Continental Shelf, 160 km east of the Shetland Islands."Being the first power and automation contract for a floating production unit awarded from a shipyard in China, this is a milestone for ABB. Our integrated and compact solutions are ideal for floating production units and this technology enables us to get a foothold in many more markets," said Veli-Matti Reinikkala, Head of ABB's Process Automation division.ABB's automation delivery comprises safety and automation systems (SAS), information management system (IMS), condition monitoring system (CMS) and operator training system (OTS). Most of the power equipment is designed into an integrated and compact concept, including 11 kilovolt and 690 kilovolt switchgear, transformers, high-voltage and low-voltage variable-speed drives and uninterruptible power supply (UPS). ABB will deliver 16 different telecommunications systems, among them public address system, entertainment, meteorological and a global maritime distress and safety system (GMDSS). ABB is also responsible for design, engineering, installation, commissioning and project management.Dana Petroleum plc is the operator of the Western Isles project, owning 77% and Cieco the remaining 23%. Dana, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Korea National Oil Corporation (KNOC), is an international oil and gas business with operations in the U.K., Egypt, Norway, the Netherlands and Africa, producing 60,000 barrels of oil a day.The FPSO will be tied to subsea installations of 170 meters depth on the Harris and Barra offshore fields. The production is planned with at least five production and four water injection wells and will start in 2015, with an expected output of 40,000 barrels of oil per day, exported through shuttle tankers.