"Important grassroots refinery projects such as the Laffan Refinery don't come along very often and Invensys is honored to have been selected as automation supplier," commented Ken Brown, president of Invensys Process Systems. "Once again, Invensys' proven track record in successfully implementing projects of this scale anywhere in the world, combined with our ability to deliver a well-integrated process control, safety, asset management, and plant information solution, were key factors."
The project will include:
- Foxboro's Mesh Control Network-based I/A Series process control system technology (encompassing approximately 5,000 intelligent I/O points plus approximately 2,000 serial points integrated largely via OPC.
- Triconex triple-modular-redundant (TMR) technology for both the safety instrumented system (SIS) and the fire and gas (F&G) protection systems.
- Avantis.PRO maintenance management software integrated with the automation systems to help balance asset availability and utilization.
- Invensys' real-time equipment Condition Monitoring (CM) solution to facilitate effective predictive maintenance techniques.
- Invensys' advanced refinery and offsites applications for refinery order management and product movement monitoring, tank farm information, and movement line-up and execution.
- Third-party real-time plant database and production scheduling applications.
- Associated engineering, integration, training, and site services.
The Invensys automation systems at the new Laffan Refinery will be interfaced to existing Invensys systems at both the RasGas and QatarGas sites to help maximize the synergies between these plants.