To make it easier to use Ethernet-APL and connect field devices directly to process control systems, ELX6233 compact, modular, EtherCAT, I/O terminal is a dual-channel communication interface that simplifies integrating field devices in hazardous areas of zones 0/20 and 1/21. It extends the combination of Beckhoff’s flexible EtherCAT system architecture and the intrinsically safe (IS) ELX portfolio to Ethernet-APL, in addition to handling HART or simple digital signals.
Other advantages of ELX6233 include:
- Compact device footprint and high channel density;
- Easy expandability and an adaptable number of channels to suit each application;
- Simplified integration even in existing plants;
- Improved cycle times compared to field switch solutions; and
- Compatibility with all EtherCAT terminals, couplers and other devices.
ELX6233 connects to sensors according to the SPAA (TS10186) port profile, and integrates them into the system via Profinet protocol. Two APL ports are available for this purpose in ELX6233’s space-saving, 24-mm terminal housing. This allows data from connected sensors to be transmitted to the controller and to higher-level process control systems such as a (DCS via ultra-fast EtherCAT communications.